Unless directed otherwise, use the following procedure for injection
preparation and administration:
1/2” 29 gauge insulin
syringes vial of medication
alcohol swabs sharps container for needle disposal
1. Wash your hands thoroughly and dry them with a clean towel.
2. Handle the syringe by the syringe barrel only. Do not touch the needle or
allow the needle to touch any surface.
3. Wipe the rubber stopper on the vial with an alcohol swab. Discard the alcohol
4. Grasp the syringe barrel and pull the plunger to the volume mark on the
5. Remove the plastic needle cover. Push the needle through the vial’s
rubber stopper and push
the plunger all the way down to expel the air into the vial.
6. Without removing the needle turn the vial upside down. Hold the syringe
with the needle pointing up, keeping the needle tip below the level of fluid
and slowly pull back on the syringe plunger until just past the volume mark.
7. If there are air bubbles, gently tap the syringe barrel until they float
to the top of the solution.
Holding the syringe upright, push the syringe plunger to the volume mark. This
will expel any air and excess solution into the vial.
8. Grasp the syringe barrel (not the plunger) and pull the syringe from the
vial. Place the needle cover over the needle and set the syringe aside.
Store the medicatioin in the refrigerator. Do not use this medication past
the expiration date or if there is a color change or particles in the solution.
1. You should be sitting upright or slightly reclined when performing the injection.
2. Choose an injection site on the side of the shaft of the penis, in the first
one-half area closest to the base of the penis. Avoid visible blood vessels.
3. Holding the head of your penis, stretch it lengthwise along your thigh so
that you can clearly see the selected injection site. Clean the injection site
with a new alcohol swab.
4. Remove the cover from the needle. Position the penis firmly against your
thigh to keep it from moving during the injection.
5. Hold the syringe between your thumb and index finger. Using a steady motion,
push the needle straight into the selected site until the metal part of the
needle is almost entirely in the penis.
6. With a steady motion, push down on the plunger so that the entire volume
of solution is slowly injected. Grasping the syringe barrel, pull the needle
out of your penis. Apply pressure to the injection site with the alcohol swab
for about 5 minutes.
7. Place the used syringe in a sharps container for disposal. Do not reuse
- Alternate the side of the penis and vary the site of injection with each
- If an erection lasts longer than 4 hours, you must immediately call you physician.
CAUTIONS: THIS MEDICATION MAY CAUSE Priapism, a prolonged erection
lasting more than 4 hours. You must immediately contact your doctor
if this occurs.
Do not use more than one injection in twenty-four hours, and not
more than three in one week.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS: SIDE EFFECTS may include a mild to moderate
aching feeling in the penis during an erection. Scarring of tissue
in the penis that results in a loss of tissue elasticity. Bruising
at the injection site, usually from improper injection technique.
Facial flushing, and increased heart rate or palpitations.